Specialists are available between the hours of 8:30 a.m. and 6 p.m., Eastern Time, to discuss premium payments, insurance dividends, address changes, policy loans, naming beneficiaries and reporting the death of the insured.
If the insurance policy number is not known, send whatever information is available, such as the veteran’s VA file number, date of birth, Social Security number, military serial number or military service branch and dates of service to:
Department of Veterans Affairs
Regional Office and Insurance Center
Philadelphia, PA 19101
For information about Servicemembers’ Group Life Insurance, Veterans Group Life Insurance, Servicemembers’ Group Life Insurance Traumatic Injury Protection, or Servicemembers’ Group Life Insurance Family Coverage, visit the Web site above or call the Office of Servicemembers’ Group Life Insurance directly at 1-800-419-1473.
Servicemembers’ Group Life Insurance
The following are automatically insured for $400,000 under Service members’ Group Life Insurance (SGLI):
1. .Active-duty members of the Army, Navy, Air Force, Marines and Coast Guard.
- 2. Commissioned members ofthe National Oceanic and AtmosphericAdministration (NOAA) and the Public Health Service (PHS).
- 3. Cadets or midshipmen ofthe U.S. military academies.
- 4. Members, cadets and midshipmen ofthe ROTC while engaged in authorized training and practice cruises.
- 5. Members of the Ready Reserves/National Guard who are scheduled to perform at least 12 periods of inactive training per year.
- 6. Members who volunteer for a mobilization category in the Individual Ready Reserve.
Individuals may elect in writing to be covered for a lesser amount or not at all. Part-time coverage may be provided to reservists who do not qualify for full-time coverage. Premiums are automatically deducted from the service member’s pay. At the time of separation from service, SGLI can be converted to either Veterans’ Group Life Insurance (VGLI) or a commercial plan through participating companies. SGLI coverage continues for 120 days after separation at no charge. Coverage of $10,000 is also automatically provided for dependent children of members insured under SGLI with no premium required.