To obtain military records
- Visit the National Personnel Records Center website at: www.archives.gov/facilities/mo/st_louis/military_ personnel_records.html.
Veterans or next-of-kin of a deceased veteran may now use vetrecs.archives.gov to order a copy of military records. For all others, your request is best made using a Standard Form 180. To obtain this form visit the NPRC website (see above for URL) or call DVS and request a copy: (617) 210-5480.
All requests must be in writing, signed, and mailed to the address shown below.
- National Personnel Records Center, Military Personnel Records 9700 Page Avenue
- St. Louis, MO 63132-5100
Requests for military personnel records or information from them cannot be accepted by email at this time. The Privacy Act of 1974 (5 U.S. ch. 552a) and Department of Defense directives require a written request, signed and dated, to access information from military personnel records.
To obtain clinical and medical treatment records
Clinical and medical treatment records are filed at the National Personnel Records Center by the name of the facility that last had responsibility for the records. Therefore, in order to request information from medical records, you must provide the following information:
- • Name of the last facility that had responsibility for the treatment record. Usually this is the last facility at which treatment was provided;
- • The year and the type of treatment (inpatient, outpatient, dental, mental health, etc.). If you need copies of specific records, please be sure to state the type of illness, injury, or treatment involved;
- • The patient’s full name used during treatment;
- • The patient’s Social Security number and status during treatment (military, retiree, dependent of military, federal employee, dependent, or other [specify]);
- • Branch of service and sponsor’s service number or Social Security number (if the former patient is/was a dependent);
- • Please provide as much information as possible, it may not be possible to locate a record if important identifying information is missing.
For medical records of separated/retired military personnel and Navy/Marine Corps dependents, send request to:
- National Personnel Records Center, Military Personnel Records 9700 Page Avenue,
- St. Louis, MO 63132-5100
For medical records of Air Force, Coast Guard, or Army dependents, send request to:
- National Personnel Records Center, Civilian Personnel Records 111 Winnebago Street,
- St. Louis, MO 63118-4126
Note: Veterans who plan to file a claim for medical benefits with the VA do not need to request a copy of their military health record from the NPRC. When you file a VA claim, the VA will request the records automatically, as part of the claims process.