VET NET NEWS Resource Events Networking Calendar (Mar - May 2017).pdf
April 1: USS Thomas Hudner Christening - Bath Shipyard, Maine - The US Navy destroyer that is named after MA medal of honor recipient and former commissioner of DVS, Thomas Hudner, Capt., US Navy, retired, is going to be christened on April 1 at 11:45 AM at Bath, Maine.
· April 4: Job Hunting? Make the Best Impression at your Interview Seminar
Tuesday, April 4th 6-8pm/Quincy College Plymouth Campus Library/36 Cordage Park Circle, #228/Plymouth, MA 02360
FREE for veterans and military spouses. No matter where you are in your job search it is important to remember the key tools for a successful interview.
During this seminar, you will learn proper interview etiquette that all interviewees need to know to make the best impression. Topics will include proper dress attire, when to make eye contact, what types of questions to have prepared for your potential employer, and what type of notes to take during an interview.
Let presenter Kimberly Richards, Manager of Men’s Wearhouse, lead you in a FREE seminar that will introduce you to the interpersonal skills needed to get your foot in the door at the career of your choosing. Heidrea for Heroes will also share information about our “Suit UP!” program, which offers veterans a chance to apply to receive a new suit for interview and professional advancement purposes. To learn more about Suit UP!, click here. Come right at 6pm for a meet and greet with new Veterans Employment Representative, Ally Rodriguez, from the Plymouth Career Center. Complimentary pizza and refreshments will be served. For more information or questions, contact 774-773-3951 or email@example.com. Register today!
· April 6: Film Screening "Almost Sunrise" at North Shore Community College. Below is the link for you to get your ticket(s)https://www.eventbrite.com/e/nscc-student-veterans-club-presents-almost-sunsrise-tickets-32593519093, http://sunrisedocumentary.com/, Only 90 seats in the room! POC: Kristine Babcock, Veterans Services Coordinator, North Shore Community College, firstname.lastname@example.org, Phone: 978-762-4187
· April 8: People’s Lawschool Workshop – POC: Julia Taylor, Intake Coordinator, Veterans Legal Clinic, The Legal Services Center of Harvard Law School, 122 Boylston Street, Jamaica Plain, MA 02130, (617)390-2593 (see flyer)
· April 12: North Attleboro Veterans Small Business Workshop (see flyer)
· April 14: Career Day @ the JFK Federal Building from 11:30 AM until 3:30PM. We especially strongly encourage all ch31 Veterans to attend. We will work on resume development, interview skills, Goal setting, Reference Development. Many Veterans also found this workshop helpful for preparing to apply for internships as well. This workshop will help you prepare for all the upcoming Job Fairs this Spring. From the follow-up e-mails we received Veterans found last years’ workshop the most productive interactive Event they had experienced. A free lunch will be provided for all Veterans who register. POC: email@example.com, 617-303-5541
· April 20 - North Shore Veterans Collaborative - It will be held on 20 April, 6:30-8pm, at the Veterans Northeast
Outreach Center in Haverhill. Facebook event details here
· The Secret National Guard and Reserve Tax Break You Might Not Know
Military reservists are entitled to a tax benefit for unreimbursed business expenses for drill mileage, lodging, meals and other incidental expenses -- but only if they or their tax preparer can figure out where to include it through their tax preparation software.
This tax break is not a deduction nor a credit, but rather an adjustment to income for expenses incurred for travel more than 100 miles from home to fulfill duties as a member of the Reserve Component. The Reserve Component is a technical term that includes National Guard and reservists. The IRS refers to this group collectively as "reservists." FULL DETAILS on Military.com
· Free Tax Filing Services 2017 @ MANG JFHQ, Hanscom AFB
Schedule an appointment by email at: 66ABG.JA.TaxCenterSchedule@us.af.mil
Open to: Active Duty, Guard, Reserve, and retired military members of any service and their dependents, on availability of volunteers.
The Tax Center will accept clients by appointments only and take appointments between the hours of 0900-1500. Walk-in ap-pointments are not available. When requesting an appointment please be sure to indicate your preference for day and whether morning or afternoon and provide a second choice.
Services include: simple 1040s, 1040As, 1040EZs, Schedules A, B, EIC, and R, along with other forms and worksheets.
· Mil Tax: A free online tax service from Military OneSource Use FREE MilTax software to prepare and file your taxes online.
This free software is tailored to military life — addressing scenarios including multiple moves, deployments and more. You can work anytime, anywhere, at your own pace. Plus, calculations have a 100 percent accuracy guarantee. You can talk with a trained MilTax consultant free during tax season (now– APR 18th) seven days a week! Go to http://public.militaryonesource.mil/taxprep.
VETERAN'S COFFEE HOURS
TUESDAYS 8:00-9:15 AM
Lawrence Senior Center
155 Haverhill, Street
Lawrence, MA 01840
FRIDAYS 8:00-11:00 AM
10 Reed Street
Haverhill, MA 01832
Connect with other local Vets for networking and fellowship sponsored by the VA Community Connection Team.
WALK-IN LEGAL CLINIC FOR LOW INCOME/HOMELESS VETERANS
MONDAYS 10:30-11:30 AM
Chelsea Soldiers Home
91 Crest Ave
Chelsea, MA 02150
WEDNESDAYS 6:00-7:00 PM
New England Center & Home for Vets
17 Court Street
Boston, MA 02108
Veterans Legal Services provides comprehensive civil legal services. Call 617-552-0623 to see if you are income eligible.